Monday, April 09, 2007

I Have A Dream

I normally wake up remember my dreams. Rarely as vivid as yesterday's. I actually dreamt that I was giving a speech during a dinner - those sit-down dinner. And I clearly remember my speech.

I talked about how to be a better person, and I raised 4 points:
1. We must be forgiving. There's an old Chinese saying: "be strict on yourself, but be generous toward others".
2. We must be responsible.
3. We must be empathy. Confucious said that (and I am attempting to translate because in my dream, I spoke in Mandarin) for every 3 persons, there would be 1 who can be our "teacher".
4. We must have love.

And I tend to think that these are the 4 principles (I thought it should be the "rules of three") that I live by.

I believe that we have to be forgiving because everyone has a story to tell. For every mistake that one makes, for every act that one does, I tend to believe that there's a reason behind it. I don't honk at drivers who make last minute turn because I think maybe they are unfamiliar with the directions; I don't criticise people who speak with an accent because I once spoke with one... I think we need to be more generous and accommodate difference. Maybe then we would be happier.

I also believe that everyone can be my teacher. The worst boss ever can be my "teacher" because he/she teaches me how NOT to become one such boss; the person who screams at me teaches me the real meaning of being gracious... And if I put myself in another person's shoes, I think I can be even more forgiving.

The funny thing is that, in my dream, several faces where clearly seen. And these were the people I really want to address to in real life, had it been possible.

(I pray for peace throughout the world and the happiness of all humanity.)

No comments: