Monday, July 10, 2006

It's All My Fault

Recent incidents that happened around me led me thinking about a lot of things - love, marriage, bureacracy, and eventually led to one thing, me and others.

Think about it. Whatever happens, it's always because of "me" and the "others". Love blossoms between two people, which (hopefully) leads to the marriage of two people. Eventually, the quality of your marriage, or whether it can last or not, depends, again, on "me" and "another" person.

How do we see ourselves? How do we see others? We often judge other people using a very quick rule-of-thumb strategy. We are not forgiving at all when it comes to other people. Other people must not make any mistake - we can. This is all too different from what my mom taught me: we should be strict to ourselves, but generous toward the others. The truth is, we tend to see others' flaws but not our own.

It's difficult to admit that "it's my fault". Or "I am responsible". We all try to push the blame to others, and appear to be the kindest person on earth. We attribute it to the others when negative things happen (I am sorry I don't make the decision here when it comes to rewarding you), but attribute it to oneself when positive things happen (I fight very hard for you that's why you get what you deserved).

Don't get me wrong. I hardly quarrel with Mr Goh. What I am saying is that, I try very hard to always tell myself that I have to see things from other's perspective, and be empathetic. And I end up feeling sorry for everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, we always see the mistakes of others, without spotting our own flaws. We always push the blame and appear to be the kindest person on earth.

Lately, I've been through a hard time, because this person and I have conflict of interest.

It became a 'routine' that evrerytime efter training, i will have something to comment...She's very...different now...Sometimes, I feel like she has something against me,and I always spot her mistake.

Then again, I always think, '"Am I biased?" I must admit, I am not forgiving when it comes to her, but i always try to see things in a different light. Being Lela, of course, when it come to the 'ule-of-thumb strategy'that u mentioned earlier, im faster than the speed of lightning.

At the end of the day, i think she's the one having issues, because I have people behind my back, telling me that what I'm doing is right. Again, it all depends on 'me' and 'her'.

Lela