Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Father

I was at my gynae’s office yesterday. While waiting, a Caucasian husband came out from the doctor’s office together with his son, about 2 years old, while his wife was being attended to. Then he sat down, and started talking to his son, who was learning to talk. After a while, he started reading a story to him, quietly, in his low but caring voice. His son stopped making noise.

I thought that was very sweet of him.

Meanwhile, the Centre for Fathering in Singapore launched a “Back to school with Dad” campaign recently, encouraging fathers to take their children to school, and hopefully at the same time could spend some quality time with the children – to be specific, take their kids to the schools when the schools reopen in 2007.

From a woman’s perspective, I am glad that men are getting more involved in the development of their children. I also know that while there are a lot of men out there willing to do more at home, the main responsibilities still go back to the women.

We are just such a patriarchy society. It is a “value” we subscribe as a society, and I don’t think we will ever change that around. Not that I am promoting feminism. I belong to the “older generation” – I believe that there are certain things women are just better in doing them. So we should tap into each gender’s strengths – do what you are good at.

Nevertheless, father is indeed an important figure in a child’s growing year.

Growing up in a single-parent family, I can tell you that I miss my Dad a lot. Not that Mom didn’t do a good job – it was difficult at that time for a widow to raise three children and trying to provide for them the best she could give.

Some how, I still wished that my Dad had been around to tell me some stories. Or that he had been around to fetch me to school, teach me how to defend myself…

I wish all the Dads know what a difference it makes in their children’s lives.

No comments: