Friday, February 16, 2007

Happy Lunar New Year

I don’t really like the Chinese New Year itself – I like the preparation leading up to CNY.

I started spring-cleaning in January. OK I confess – I hired part time maid to do the more difficult things like cleaning the windows and the grilles, the lights, etc. But I started throwing out stuff then – it’s like a “bidding farewell” kind of gesture that I need to do at least once a year (Symbolic #1). I donated / recycled old clothes, old magazines, old everything.

Then two weeks ago, after our new sofa was delivered (the old one was “dismantled” by Bingo our dog), I put up CNY decorations, those red stuff for good luck (Symbolic #2). Last week, we bought Mandarin oranges, and pussy willows. I also bought some of the things I need to prepare a family dinner we will be hosting on the 3rd day of CNY – prawns (in Cantonese the name prawn sounds like “laughing” – Symbolic #3), sea cucumber (sounds like “rising” – Symbolic #4), fish maw, etc etc etc.

Yesterday I changed bedsheet. And you will see me doing laundry after we come back from reunion dinner at parents’ place because I believe that you shouldn’t leave dirty laundry over night / over the year – carrying bad luck over to the new year (Symbolic #5).

Then of course we have to prepare Hong Baos – that’s for the younger generations so that they do well in the next year (Symbolic #6).

It’s tiring, but I enjoy it. I love the idea of having a sparkling clean house with new and freshly smelled bedsheet and red decorations to usher in a new year. (Symbolic #7)

Oh did I mention that Chinese New Year is a highly symbolic occasion?

Happy Lunar New Year.

No comments: