Friday, June 16, 2006

Being Woman

I met up with my secondary school friends (yes I know, it's very long time ago and yes I DO have secondary school friends) for dinner and we were, of course, as usual, lament about our jobs, families, and mothers.

Which brings me to the issue of gender inequality in our society.

It's funny that for my friend, although in our traditional society sons are supposed to take care of their aged parents, ends up with the responsibility of looking after Mom. Not that we mind, it's just that while we cheered the feminist movements and fight for gender equality, we as women, end up doing a lot more - besides fulfilling the traditionally "women's" work, we now have to play part of the men's role as well, thanks to "gender equality".

The first wave of feminism fought for women's rights to vote - okay, so we got that. The second wave saw women fought for equality in the workplace because now, women saw working as a career rather than a temp job - okay, we got that too.

And then we are stuck there.

Look at me. My mother, as a traditional Chinese woman with a degree in Classical Chinese Literature, insisted that it's a woman's job to look after her husband, household, and family. Since young, she insisted that I learned how to cook, iron, sew, clean... And I appreciate it because now I can manage home and work - but you see, that's the problem. At the same time, we as women must excel in school and at work. Compared to our male counterparts, of course there are a lot more on my plate. More responsibilities.

Does our society appreciate that women have taken on more responsibilities? Not really. The reality is that, at work, women still see the glass ceiling. Women still see the "mommy track" - if your focus is on family, then perhaps a job that requires you to travel may not be suitable.

I had potential employer who asked me if I intended to have kids in the near future, because if I do, then it would affect my work. I was appalled.

My point is, gender inequality always exist. Biological, socially, we are unequal. And I think we are the better sex... for "Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." -- Timothy Leary (1920 - 1996)

No comments: