Friday, June 02, 2006

Rules of Three

This is a simple blog. I am a simple person. I told you before.

Anyway, I attended a PR conference a couple of days ago. The conference featured mr brown and Mr Miyagi. They are funny people... really... but funny aside, they are also the "intellects" who would be able to tell you about media regulations, citizen journalism, new media is "engaging" etc.

OK so I don't follow the rule of blog. I mean, I type everything using upper and lowercase. Is this a culture thing? I am sure. Blog is not just a mode of communication, not just new media, but a new culture.

That's why I always say between you and I, we have generation gap. How sad.

So we talked about media regulations. Human's nature is to share. We are a "group" creature by nature. But why is it that we see a "need" to govern what's being said on blog, when most of the time, people are just sharing information? I suspect the sociologists would have us believe that it is the "power elite" working - there is a need for the "power elite" to retain control. But the problem with the cyberspace is that, you cannot control. And losing control is a very scary thing.

Blog is a deviance. It has changed the way we communicate, the way we see things, the way we obtain information, the way we store information. Deviance like this one is not necessarily negative. If you see it from the functionalist perspective, it is actually functional because it re-defines the concept of "boundary", it tells the society what is "mainstream" and what is "alternative", it promotes social change - change of regulations, in particular. Not just cultural change, but change in regulations, change in other social insitutions like family, education.

Look at me. Even I resort to this.

2 comments:

m said...

Hi Ms Chua!

I didn't think of a blog as a deviance till you mentioned it here haha.




Yay great first post! (;

FuSe said...

:|.