Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Dad

What does Father's Day mean to you? It doesn't, to me.

You see, The Dad has passed away 30 years ago (exactly). I remember specific instances relating to Dad, including his funeral. Growing up in a single-parent family, I feel very strongly about the support a family can give to children, in particular, the education that a family can give.

Family, therefore, to me, is an anchor social institution.

The family serves all the functions that sociologists would tell us. But I think more importantly, family provides the emotinal support (as primary group) that no one can provide - which is why families that are unable to provide such support break down and become dysfunctional.

I am deeply affected by the environment I grew up in - in particular, the family I grew up in. My principles of life, my values, my outlook, my attitudes, my beliefs, the way I manage relationship... I just wish all the moms and dads know, when they are raising their children, how important they are and how influential they are, and how what they do (or didn't do) would somehow, in a subtle and indirect way, affect the entire society - at least the next generation of the society.

It is interesting to note that in such a patriachy society such as ours, we pay more attention to Mother's Day than to Father's Day. Which links to the my previous post about how women are playing more and more important role in the society.

I know it's a bit late to talk about Father's Day. But I always wonder how it would be like to grow up in a family with Dad around.

No comments: