Monday, June 05, 2006

Sociology of IT



It is a challenge to go to the IT show. Apparently it was a record number of visitors this year. But you know I love challenge. So we went to the IT Show, just because Mr Goh needed a new printer.

First, it was the challenge of finding a place to park. Suntec, full. Marina Square, full. Millenia Walk, full. And the GSS didn't help.

Then, it was the challenge of getting in - "Please return in an hour" - so said the signboard. Did anyone care? Obviously not. So we squeezed in, just like everyone else.

I wonder why the IT show has become the "IT" show in town.

If we look at things from Wright Mill's "sociological imagination", then the sociology of computer can be established.

A computer (or IT gadget for that matter) is not just a machine. It has, of course, a symbolic value - like a personal ritual like the morning coffee, it is a personal ritual for many to start their days. I've heard of people who switch on their computers and check email first thing in the morning. Mr Goh for example, would go straight to the study room and on his PC to check email every evening after dinner. I check my email first thing I reach the office every morning. It has also become a social ritual - we build social network through the computer in this virual world called the cyberspace. Instead of pouring our hearts to our friends face-to-face, we do it virtually.

IT also has a huge implications on the social and economic relationships. Just look at the amount of profit generated through exhibitions like the IT shows. Our printer broke down because the photo plate spoiled - to replace that, it would cost SGD120. And to get a brand new printer (laser)? SGD178 (or could be cheaper - another brand was sold at SGD98). World's richest man? Bill Gates. World giant corporations? Apple. IBM.

And of course it is a new culture - new way of communicating, new values, new beliefs, new behaviours/conducts, new rules that we observe.

More than that. It is also a symbol of status - latest notebook so that you can bring it to school... it would be more hip if you were to bring a Mac... how fast is your machine? Do you get the latest?

During my time, I wrote letters home. Once a week. I used the lecture notepad to write letters to my mother. And I learnt to write beautiful things. I should have kept some of my letters... I wonder if my mom kept some of the letters I wrote to her. You see, if I had written it using the machine, it would be much easier for me to "archieve", wouldn't it?

Anyway, so yes, we bought the printer at SGD178.

No comments: